Advertisement

dance from saudia: M3alaya

topic posted Thu, November 1, 2007 - 6:38 AM by  ItalianBELLY...
Share/Save/Bookmark
What do you think about this dance? There are alot of video clip on youtube (in strange situation too O_o )but I like this kind of dance.
www.youtube.com/watch
I like the dance with false guns. Do you know the name of it?thank you.

N.B.: I posted this topic 3 times, I have problems with tribe. Sorry for my mistake.
Advertisement
  • Re: dance from saudia: M3alaya

Thu, November 1, 2007 - 8:47 AM
    I've seen a lot of this dance show up on the video channels online, I think largely due to the foreign military presence in the area. Someone's comment was "malaya is type of dance in united Arab Emirates & Oman .. it's so sexy & it's ass shaking with drums." Someone else linked in what's pretty prevalent in hip-hop videos here in the US with the name "American Malaya": www.youtube.com/watch

It's a really impressive sequence of moves, but it is HIGHLY sexualized -- at least in these videos. Most of the videos I have seen eventually have the girls bent over, either just in general or over each other www.youtube.com/watch www.youtube.com/watch but this could be an effect of the fact that these girls were willing to be filmed and were "performing" already. I can make no assertions to what's going on in places like: www.youtube.com/watch but that certainly doesn't seem to be in the realm of non-prostitution (which is fine, I make no judgment).

Physically, I would love to figure out the base hip move, cuz damn! Everything else makes me worry about my back. :/ It seems strongly reminiscent of the East African dance I've seen, particularly the casual kind.

Thu, November 1, 2007 - 10:04 AM
      Lisa, I appreciate your post. You stated clearly my thoughts and feelings about this video. It seemed exploitative to me. And that's more, I think, because of the point of view of the person doing the video taping and the person who posted and described the dance on YouTube.

Thu, November 1, 2007 - 10:34 PM
      I'd never heard of American Malaya, but I have heard of "stripper dance," especially in krumping and clowning, which was a big LA thing a few years ago. Ever seen the movie Rize? Here's a clip of what those dancers call stripper dance - it looks similar to what you've posted here.
      youtube.com/watch

Fri, November 2, 2007 - 7:52 AM
        Yeah, that label of "American Malaya" isn't correct, but it's interesting that the video poster made that connection.

Fri, November 2, 2007 - 8:44 AM
          I would like to dance this kind of dance for few seconds in a coreography, the music is very different then egyptian music, so I need to edit. There is an other step/movement of m3alaya dance and it s on the floor (sorry but I lost the clip on youtube). their back shake alot and it could be voulgar.
          Anyway...I will begin training this dance and if I will have a good, hard/soft, UP back I will say you! hihihihihihihihi

Recent topics in "Belly Dance Video Clips"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
night club for fun Unsubscribed 0 August 14, 2014
drum solos please ~:Samira:~ 25 December 9, 2012
A Tribal Video Mini-Class Dano 12 October 9, 2012
Sydney Middle Eastern Dance Festival 2012 Ignatius 0 May 11, 2012